VOLUNTEER with Kairos this summer!
Come and join the Feeling Safe Summer Programme! This is a set of activities each Thursday during the summer holidays to help young women grow in confidence and self-esteem, give them opportunities to try something new and to meet new people and make friends.
The Feeling Safe programme supports young women (aged 18-24) who are at risk of sexual exploitation – to recognise it, identify risks and seek help through one-to-one, group and awareness-raising sessions. The programme also aims to improve young women’s confidence, in order to increase personal resilience and confidence. It has been running since 2012.
summer programme sessions
– Creative drawing project
– Beauty pamper day
– Go-karting or similar (tbc)
– One-night residential with water activities, horse riding and an overnight stay with a BBQ
Times and commitment
The sessions are taking place on the following dates:
26th July, 2nd August, 9th August, 16th August, 23rd August, 30th-31st August (both days needed as this is the overnight residential).
We would like volunteers to commit to at least 2 sessions each for the summer programme.
– Ability to listen well, taking a non-judgemental approach
– Ability to communicate well in English, both verbally and written
– Understand and practice the principles of equal opportunities, non-discrimination
– Willingness to volunteer under the instruction and management of KairosWWT staff and follow all policies and procedures including confidentiality and health and safety
– Awareness of your own limitations and boundaries
NB: you do not need to be a professional counsellor or adviser for this role!
what will i be doing?
As a volunteer you will be supporting the Feeling Safe Senior Practitioner at the summer programme activities. You don’t need specific skills like knowing how to ride or a horse – your role is to support and encourage the young women to take part and get the most out of each activity.
Your responsibilities will be:
– Meeting the Senior Practitioner at the venue or agreed location
– Help set up before the session
– Make drinks and welcome service users
– Be fully involved in the activity being run, and give constant encouragement to the women taking part
– Engage in conversations with the young women and offer support where applicable
– Guide the women by referring them to other Kairos services or organisations
– Help tidy up after the sessions
I’m interested – how do I apply or find out more?
Email Tianne at email@example.com if you have any questions or would like to find out more information.
If you are accepted as a Feeling Safe volunteer, you will need to attend mandatory induction training.
Please note deadline for applications is 10th July – we look forward to hearing from you!